Monday 15 April 2013

Great Escape!



Never have I looked more forward to a holiday then I did this time, as my family and I boarded a plane heading to a much needed week of sunshine in Belek, Turkey. I don't think we anticipated the appallingly cold and wet weather conditions we have experienced this winter and spring and what complete lack of sun or warmth we were likely to see when we booked this holiday all those months ago! This holiday was so greatly needed and boy, did Turkey not disappoint.

We stayed at the Susesi Luxury Resort, where our every need was catered for. Our daughter, being the friendly, confident little girl that she is, met and made friends with another little girl on our first morning and they were like two pea's in a pod from that moment on and completely inseparable. They spent their week enjoying each others company and all that they required was a daily trip to the beach to collect more shells for their collection.



It was lovely to watch them in their play and know that they were completely and utterly contented in what they were doing, it also meant us parents could indulge in some much needed relaxation on a sun lounger by the pool.






The gardens at the resort were incredible, so green, so full of colour and flowers, so amazingly maintained and lush. 


I loved the many beds of Bird Of Paradise flowers, they looked stunning don't you agree?

They were absolutely beautiful and everyday after breakfast we would take a walk around the gardens and enjoy the early morning warmth and look forward to the day ahead.


I love the sea and the Mediterranean is especially lovely as it is not tidal and always so beautifully turquoise in colour. In May, sea turtles come to this part of the coast and lay their eggs, now that is something I would love to experience.


Now, previously when I have traveled to a new part of the world, I do like to try and experience parts of their culture and visit landmarks and sites of interest, but honestly, on this occasion, I moved little further then from the side of the pool to the beach and back. I confess that I just laid and read my book. The only time I made any effort to move was when I was hungry and the food was out of this world, and the cakes!!! WOW!!



They were works of art and looked too lovely to eat, not that that stopped us. Each afternoon at 4 o'clock, they served an eye wateringly huge assortment of patisseries, pastries and cakes.



And each evening at dinner, there was a different featured dessert, this one was a vanilla cheesecake with an apricot glaze. The macaroons were so divine and the presentation was breath taking!!



Even the main courses were beautifully crafted, this dish for example was Salmon Gravlax. 



This is one of the many carvings, this one was Neptune and was part of the seafood themed evening


This was also part of the seafood display!!


Oh, and back to the cakes!!!



It's mouth watering just to look at them!!!




And if we didn't have enough cake while we were there, it was also our daughters 6th birthday, so to celebrate, they made her a special Torte, complete with candles and sparklers. A truly tremendous way to mark the end of our holiday.

So back home and back to reality I suppose. Thank you for stopping by and I hope to return soon with more talk of all things I love to indulge in. The weather these last 2 days have shown signs of improvement so I hope to take a gander down to our much neglected allotment plot and start a few tentative steps towards regaining order - wish me luck!!



No comments:

Post a Comment